Answer by Justin Knag:
Rooting locked gaming devices. With the original Xbox, the process involved:
- Opening the console using a torx screwdriver
- Buying and installing a mod chip by soldering
- Finding the locations of the location of a hacked BIOS by using irc to request temporary access to an FTP server.
- Burn the ISO containing the BIOS with dummy data onto an old CD RW.
- Replace the hard drive
- Burn one of several custom dashboards installer ISOs to the same CD RW
- Setup an FTP connection to load additional software from a computer
The equivalent now can be as simple as going to a iPhone jailbreak website and tapping a button.